Tuesday, 6 October 2015

A Day In The Life ...

The day starts with the honking of Canada geese as they wing southward in "V" like formations. I rise, pour myself a cup of coffee, turn on the radio and retire to my couch to sip and listen to the latest broadcast. Next, I check my mouse traps in the basement and workshop -- areas not accessible to the prowling feline, Ellie Mae. Three mice were caught yesterday -- none this morning. At this time of year they find their way into my dwelling, seeking a winter shelter. Can't blame them for that but it's wise to catch them early before they get a chance to reproduce. Their bodies will be quickly consumed by crows, skunks or other scavengers.

I check my night cam to see who enjoyed the community dish meal of table scraps I set out last night. On offer was chicken skins and fat cut from lamb chops. The plastic container was licked clean and ready for the recycle bin. As usual, Jimmy Skunk was the lucky diner and I notice he is making good progress on layering his body with fat to tide him over the oncoming winter months.

At my bird feeders, small birds try to grab a meal before the half dozen local bluejays haul away the goods. I laughed yesterday to see one of the young squirrels dash into a feeder to startle away one of those greedy blue feathered pilferers. My strategy has now switched to restocking the feeders with lesser amounts but more often.

I've got errands to run -- groceries and furnace filters to buy. But I'm reluctant to leave this little paradise even for just an hour or two.

A family of Canada Geese winging south in the early morning.


A gold finch checking the contents of a hanging feeder.


This nut hatch is in luck to find a fresh stock of peanuts and sunflower seeds.


A warbler watches for cluster flies which it will feed on before heading south.


This cardinal seems to be looking for the waitress to refill the feeder.


One of the young red squirrels has somehow lost the tip of it's tail.


Bees foraging on blossoms as yet untouched by frost.


Lucky for some, having a nap while others have to graft for a living.


Jimmy Skunk enjoying a meal of meat scraps.

7 comments:

  1. A super series of photos, my pick is the Warbler in the greenery, that would grace any postcard or calendar. I have not seen a single mouse this last year, maybe with another cat around, they have scattered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the warbler pic is not a very sharp image, I was rather taken with the colours and textures of the cedar branches. I might attempt a water colour painting of it this winter. I saw Ellie Mae carrying a mouse outside this morning. I haven't actually seen her eat one but since she spent the first year of her life feral, and is seldom hungry I know she catches much of her own food.

      Delete
  2. I see you feed lots of critters too...no skunks here ...I did catch a couple when I lived in VT...going to have them descented...after keeping them a few days I decided they had grown up wild and should be wild so let them go...they never tried to spray.
    Love the picture of the cat napping...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skunks are one of my favourite animals. But I agree with you Carol, they should be free. Plus since they are mostly nocturnal and love to dig, not the best for making into a pet.

      Delete
  3. I've not seen a skunk nearby. I thought I smelled one in passing one warm summer's night. happily, not again!
    I know what you mean about leaving to shop. I'm content to putter, but hubby needed more meds. Everyone is tucked in for the night, but Buster. Lord knows what he is up to. cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you manage in the storm? Are your bees secure and snug as a bug?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get too bad of a storm here, Jennifer. Lots of rain, which filled my basement cistern, assuring my water supply for months to come. The bees have their winter insulation boxes filled with wood shavings on top of each hive and I've swapped out the summer screened bottom boards for solid winter ones, with a layer of insulation underneath. In the next week or so, I'll wrap each hive with a bubble wrap skin to keep out drafts. I was really surprised to see some out to help clean up my extracting equipment in cold and windy conditions. They always amaze me. Thanks so much for asking. I guess you can tell I just love my bees, both honey and native ones.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.