Monday, 2 February 2015

Groundhog Day

Today, February 2nd, is known in these northern parts as Groundhog Day. Folklore states that if, on this day, a groundhog emerges from it's burrow to encounter sunshine, it will be frightened by it's own shadow and retreat back into it's den. This will indicate six more weeks of winter. But if the day is cloudy, no shadow will be cast and therefore the animal will not be alarmed and spring will come early.

Well, today is definitely cloudy. In fact we are having quite a cold, windy and stormy day. Any sane groundhog wouldn't even dream of venturing out in the first place. Hurray, it's an early spring for us! Maybe. We live in hope.


2 comments:

  1. I would stay huddled in my burrow, hope you keep warm, the bees thrive, and all birdies find some food for their breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cold and snowy. I know I have to wait. At least I don't have yard duty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.