Monday, 5 January 2015

Some Unpleasantness

This morning I watched an Eastern Gray Squirrel rummaging through a Red Squirrel's winter food storage. Just as I was beginning to wonder why the red was allowing this, the following scene played out.


The gray has returned for another raid but homeowner, Reddy lands a nip.


An exposed rump is a vulnerable rump. The gray is quite aware of this.


With the box as a shield, the gray squirrel is ready to bite the incensed homeowner.


Reddy: You've got to come out sometime, punk!





I know that I shouldn't interfer with wildlife (providing the wildlife does not include the occasional mouse that finds it's way into my home) but I felt that Reddy could use a hand. As long as the gray squirrel stayed in the box, it was safe from nips. But those stores were gathered through a lot of hard work by the smaller squirrel and I found it impossible to just stand by and do nothing. So I went outside and clapped my hands. This made the big gray squirrel bolt from the box and thus become a better target for the furious Reddy. He bolted with the little red squirrel in hot pursuit.



1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I would have done the same, And their tales "SWISH" so like a cat waiting to pounce, I do hope Reddy is back where he belongs with his hard -earned cache of winter goodies. Super photos and video, I had to smile, such good therapy for us down here. Jean.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.