Sunday, 6 March 2016

The Dregs of Winter

Only a couple of weeks remain before our Spring Equinox arrives. On average, this winter has been fairly agreeable. I only had to use my snowblower three times.

There are unmistakable signs of a seasonal changeover. Woodpeckers and crows are performing territorial displays and today I saw my first returning red-winged blackbirds. Lemon yellow patches are appearing in the olive coloured winter plumage of goldfinches. Raccoons and skunks are becoming more active. Near store entrances, packets of flower and vegetable seeds beckon from cardboard displays. An extended thaw is forecast for next week. My thoughts are turning to new rubber boots.

This Madagascar Jasmine was a grocery store impulse purchase. Wonderful fragrance!


Lemon yellow is slowly replacing the olive on goldfinch winter plumage.


Red-winged Blackbirds pause their journey for a fuel stop. Father and son perhaps?


Day or night, Ellie Mae can watch live theatre from her window perch.


Woodshed visitors from my night cam in the last few nights.




3 comments:

  1. Ellie May, what a spot for window looking.And the bushy tail, still lots of winter fur there, in your night time visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! I've heard the song changes, too!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have voiced my spring thoughts exactly. I have yet to spy a red winged blackbird up my way and isn't that night cam a fun, interesting way to watch nature literally at your door step. Do you know I used to think those olive coloured goldfinches and the bright yellows were two different kinds of birds.I have learned so much from my fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.