Thursday, 10 March 2016

Family Unpleasantness

It happens in the best of families. Sometimes things just get a bit unpleasant.

A couple of years ago I was walking through our bush lot when I heard a strange racket. Curious, I walked toward the sound. All was revealed. A young raccoon, born the previous year was trying to get into a tree cavity with it's mom. But she was having none of it. She growled and tried her best to drive the youngster away. It bawled and begged and pleaded. This sort of thing happens every spring when moms are getting ready to start a new family. The last thing she needs is another mouth from last year to feed. I could still hear the noisy argument until I was well out of earshot.

So when I checked my night cam this morning I was not surprised to see a mother skunk trying to shake off last year's kit. You have to feel sorry for both parties when youngsters become surplus to requirements.


2 comments:

  1. It's true! A friend was just complaining about having her 30-something kids' things in her house!!!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I do feel sorry for those that have to face the big wide world on their own.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.