Saturday, 7 March 2015

That Certain Scent

The day after I noticed raccoon tracks leading away from the barn, I spied a new set of fresh prints in the snow. But these were made by a different species.


The foot prints of a skunk on my backyard snow.


My trail camera confirmed what I already knew. Jimmy Skunk has broken hibernation and is up and about and looking for a meal. For the past few days, I've been noticing a certain faint but oh so familar scent outdoors. Eau de Jimmy.




Each skunk has slightly different markings. This one has a straight face stripe.


A summer of grubbing will fill out that tummy.



Having no problem at all finding a meal, Reddy is nibbling on tree, shrub and cane buds.

3 comments:

  1. Reddy can hang on by his toes so precariously, lovely ones of him, pity about the skunk, maybe he will go elsewhere soon, and leave all that smell for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note here to say that I'm one of those rare folk who actually are fond of skunks. Used to walk through the freshly cut hayfields with them as a girl. And baby skunks are simply too cute for words. Never met one I didn't like and the odd skunk 'bomb' soon evaporates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been playing around with the Trailcam. Not much lately, but we shall see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.