Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Summer Solstice

For anyone living north of the equator, today is our longest day of the year. My patch will receive sixteen hours of daylight. Perhaps that explains why I wasn't sleepy last night. My internal clock is in summer mode.

And, of course, the summer solstice brings summer delights. A large and modern new grocery store has opened in the nearby village of Winchester, Ontario. It's parking lot not only has a fresh and smooth paved surface but an eye-catching new landscape feature. Beautiful roses are planted throughout. I was smitten by the gorgeous purplish-pink double blooms and simply had to stroll over and take a sniff. Their fragrance was wonderful! Amid the thorny stems, a single metal tag had escaped the landscapers. It read, Rosa rugosa 'Hansa'. Lickity split, on my next foray into Ottawa, I bought three pots of it from a garden centre. And even before I planted the roses, my honey bees had found the pots and were checking out the yellow stamens amid the magenta blooms.

Front and back views of a tag on my new rose acquisition.


Speaking of honey bees, last week I opened the hive split that did not receive a queen and was happy to see that it had made one of it's own. I did not actually eyeball a queen, but there was solid evidence that one was in residence. The hive workers were relaxed and hummed contentedly. The sight of eggs in new comb was conclusive queen-right proof. A single egg had been placed precisely in the bottom and centre of each new brood cell. Only the long abdomen of a queen could perform this technical feat. All is well in my little apiary.

Also among the pleasures of summer are lovely, fresh bouquets. Presently, these are provided by peonies, planted by my mother many decades ago. Not only outrageously showy, they produce an exquisite rose-like fragrance.

I can picture this magenta beauty decorating a girl's summer party hairdo.

The wonderful fragrance of this pink peony would rival any rose.

Fresh bouquets of peonies grace my kitchen window sill. Thank you, Mom.
  


5 comments:

  1. Your peonies are simply lovely! At my parent's we had lovely white/pink ones that were heading towards 60 years old. So lovely your Mom planted yours.
    Great new roses you planted. What a lovely description of what they smell like!
    Have a good rest of the week.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peonies are one of my favourites, and good news all is well with the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful. I spontaneously bought a rose last week!
    I love figuring out mysteries with clues. You have learned so much about bees.
    My husband grew up in Chesterville, we often visit his family in the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peonies make the most beautiful bouquets and you only need one or two to have a show. These are gorgeous. So happy to hear your bees are happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.