Thursday, 8 June 2017

A New Customer

Wild elderberry shrubs have sprung up in several places around my grounds. They have pretty white blossoms that develop into sweet little berries. Gray Catbirds love these berries and quite likely have deposited the seeds that formed the shrubs in the first place. So it was no real surprise when I noticed the fruit loving catbirds checking out my grape jelly feeder. They feed from each little pot in turn and then head off somewhere, presumably to share with a nesting female. My orioles and catbirds have already polished off one 500 ml bottle of Welch's Concord Grape Jelly and are well into a second one. Word has spread among my feathered customers and business is brisk!

A Gray Catbird arrives to check out the grape jelly feeder.

You can almost see a smile on it's beak!

Yum-m-m! Even sweeter than the elderberries!



A female Baltimore Oriole wolfs down her share.

Good stuff, eh? I like a little on a cracker and cheese, myself!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, do you check the jars to see if they leave any for you, or is there a special secret one hidden inside? Beautiful photos, and wonderful feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to feed them, but Jr. Bear's been back 3 x's tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant, knocking the poop out of the budworm! I didn't even think of that! Hah! Hooray for my readers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.