Monday, 13 February 2017

Two Guys On A Bench



Some years back, my talented crafting friend and former co-worker introduced me to the versatility of polymer clay. She used it to make beads for her jewellery hobby. Her creations are absolutely amazing and sumptuous to the max. My use of the clay, however, is geared more to the creation of small and whimsical sculptures.

Yesterday I finished another one. This time my subject is two men on a bench. They do not represent anybody in particular, just two random guys having a discussion. As I work the clay, their personalities develop. I imagine walking past them somewhere and eavesdropping on them a little. Are they related? I don't see a resemblance. I think they are about a generation apart in age. The older chap seems to have a hearing impairment but is keen (or polite) to follow the conversation. The younger man is wearing a sweat suit but also sandals, so I assume his costume is for comfort and not for jogging. And what are they talking about? Politics? Relationships? Health? Adventures from days gone by?


Each figure begins with a roughed out base over a wire armature.

Adding clay and shaping develops a unique little personality.

I fashioned a bench from popsicle sticks and posed the 'dolls'.

Feet with socks are next.

Shoes go over the socks.

All dressed, the guys are ready for a gab fest.

Yellow shirt's pectoral muscles are too feminine. Reduction surgery is scheduled.

"Try telling that to kids today! Well, they wouldn't believe you! They just wouldn't!"

"Uh, huh."

5 comments:

  1. They are delightful, what talent you have to do this. I love the words they just might be saying or listening to, a real story there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florence, who knew! These are amazing; I feel like I might know these two. You are incredibly talented to have created such lively realism in their faces. Would you think of making animals...your owl for instance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jocelyn. Yes, I have made animals -- all whimsical, children's storybook versions. Granny Fox, Jimmy The Skunk and Grandfather Frog. In later years, though, I find sculpting people more fun. We are so incredibly diverse! No, I havn't thought of depicting an owl. Perhaps I have more reverence for owls. (wee crooked smile)

      Delete
  3. These are just brilliant! Wow. I love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.