Saturday, 29 October 2016

First Snow

Yesterday we received our first snow fall of the season. I enjoyed the novelty but am still hoping for warmer weather that is also dry enough to finish an eaves trough project. I need a dry plus 10 degrees C for the caulking to stick. That rules out the next few days.

A few robins have not flown south, but are chatting to each other as they glean fruit from vines and shrubs. So nice to hear them as winter approaches. But my current favourite backyard bird is a red-breasted nuthatch. I suspect it spent the summer further north or at least in an area with denser stands of cone producing trees. With a distinctive eye stripe, it is smaller and stubbier than it's white-breasted cousin and is very, very cute!

Despite all odds, my three-legged red squirrel has survived and is gathering wild foods with determination. It only occasionally visits my feeders. I suspect it is nervous of the bluejays. 


An icing sugar-like coating decorates my kitchen window view.

Fresh snow brightens our fields on an otherwise dark October morning.

Evidence that a cat has been on patrol. Likely feral guy, Ginger Tom.

A lonesome birdhouse awaits next year's occupants.

Before nabbing a peanut, this red-breasted nuthatch scans for trouble.

Ellie Mae has decided that indoors offers the most comfort today.

3 comments:

  1. Looking at your snow, beautiful. Guess the bees will go to rest soon. Love those footprints in the snow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be the prettiest window view I've ever seen. We got more snow than you...I heard 3 to 4 cm and it is still out there. A bit too early for my liking. I've put up my bird feeder stakes and will start the feeding soon. I've been putting out peanuts for the lone chipmunk and I've had fun watching him bury them all over the place. It will be interesting to see what birds I get here. Your cat has such comfort Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We knew it was coming, but it was pretty! Lots of fun! My feeders are busy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.