Monday, 3 October 2016

And The Oscar Goes To ...

Each autumn, I like to mentally award an Oscar to the plant in my collection with the best overall blooming performance. And this year I'm giving my imaginary Best-In-Show Oscar to (envelope please) -- Bacopa.

On impulse, I bought a small pot of this plant in May. The little tag said 'Bacopa' and nothing else. I had not heard the name before but I was seduced by the pretty blue blossoms. Replanted in an outdoor container, it bloomed for the entire season and is currently the 'show stopper' on my grounds. Bonus -- it requires little care except for watering twice a day. It's not frost tolerant so I'll take some cuttings and try to overwinter it. Hummingbirds and bees like it and they are important members of my judging panel.  Next year it will star in more of my containers.

From June through October, this trailing Bacopa plant was in continuous bloom.

Bacopa's cascading beauty welcomes all who pass by.



I'd also give an Oscar award to my cosmos plants, this time for 'best supporting' roll. I originally started growing cosmos for long lasting and colourful table bouquets. Then I realized how popular the seeds are with gold finches. In fact, each Fall I have to scramble to save some seeds for planting next year before the birds beat me to them. And when I started beekeeping I truly came to appreciate what a good source of pollen the cosmos flowers provide. Yes, they quite deserve an Oscar as well.

Soon cosmos seed heads will ripen and gold finches will heartily feast.

I think 'raspberry truffle' could describe this bloom.

A teddy bear-like bumble bee snacking on cosmos pollen.

Golden pollen glitters up this dark pink cosmos bloom.

Oh Marilyn, who are you wearing? A honey girl accessory!

 

7 comments:

  1. Yes, that is Marilyn with her skirts a-flutter. Beauty close-ups, and down here we had cosmos self-seed for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a clever visual, Jean! I hadn't thought of that scene from "Some Like It Hot", but now that you mention it, I see the resemblance as well! Great imagination!

      Delete
    2. Oops, my mistake, the white dress over the grate scene was from 'The Seven Year Itch'. So long ago, but sill a classic icon.

      Delete
  2. Just glorious! I have to decide what I want to bother bringing in. So much to do. And I'm off Friday for a Toronto meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we still have a couple of weeks before freeze up, but you never know. Gosh Jennifer, there is no moss growing under your feet. I quite admire your stamina!

      Delete
  3. Love your Oscar winning lineup, clever girl. I've never heard of Bacopa but I love cosmos. I've been pleased to see that most of the flowering plants, if not deliberately planted for the bees, happily are much enjoyed by them. I've got an unusual plant that I will be talking about soon and the bees have had a field day with its blooms. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to learn more about your unusual bee attractive plant, Jocelyn. I'm always looking for ways to please the pollinators. And usually these plants are also eye candy for us.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.