Tuesday, 19 January 2016

It Works For Me

For the most part, I'm pretty good at maintaining a sensible diet. Since I have an intense sweet tooth and poor self control, I avoid eye contact with sugary grocery store confections and usually bring home only healthy choices. Maybe once a year, I'll fall off the wagon and purchase a litre of heavenly hash ice cream. And like the hound dog that I am, I eat it too fast. And I feel ill. And I'm reminded again of why I have my 'just don't bring it home' rule.

But one evening a few weeks ago, while lounging on the good old couch and watching Netfix movies, I had a strong craving for something rich in sugar and fat. Something akin to cheese cake or up-market chocolates. My pantry held nothing of the sort. But thanks to my dear little honey bees, I always have a shelf of honey filled jars. And I always have peanut butter which, combined with lard, forms the basis of suet cakes I make for my backyard birds. I also just happened to have had some cream cheese in the refrigerator. The following is now my 'go to' source for a sweet indulgence.

In a small bowl, mix together one tablespoon of peanut butter, one tablespoon of cream cheese and one teaspoon of honey.

Have at it and let me know what you think. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle on a few chocolate chips. 


A satisfying, no-bake winter snack that I'm enjoying this winter.


A downy woodpecker and a tree sparrow replenish their fat reserves.


In this bitter cold, we all need some extra fat in our diet.

3 comments:

  1. That is colder than we have EVER had where we live now . Maybe in the very Central Otago, occasionally. Wonderful bird feeder, and a super "lift-me-up" snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally! Hubby bought, and ate, nearly a whole bag of oreos. sigh... Love your birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying hard to eat better. It is so tough! (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.