Sunday, 16 November 2014

First Snow

This morning I awoke to see the season's first thin blanket of snow. Always a welcome sight for me, it signals the start of what I call 'my winter holidays'. Farewell to outside chores (except for the occasion walk with my snowblower) and hello to indoor hobbies and even more self indulgence with snacks and lounging about with the remote control. Bring it on!!!

Another nice surprise was a new visitor to a feeder. A female Red-bellied Woodpecker. She was interested in the black oil seed but hindered somewhat by the cage around it. Not quite able to reach the seed ports with her bill, she simply extended her long tongue to lick the seed into her beak.

Sorry about the window screen. It doesn't much bother the human eye but is a bit of an obstacle for my camera lens.



A female Red-bellied Woodpecker eyes the goodies.


Those seeds look so inviting.


Wish this darned cage was gone.


With a little help from her tongue...


... Got it!


Gold finches enjoying their breakfast at a different feeder.



1 comment:

  1. Snow has gone, now, hasn't it?!!! I love the bird feeders.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.