Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Garden Harvest

This morning I walked out to my garden patch to harvest some Swiss chard for lunch. Evidently someone else had the same idea last night.  Fresh deer tracks suggested the resident doe enjoyed a buffet. Beside the garden I have a stock tank which I use for watering the plants. I can just imagine her sauntering over to it and washing down her big meal.

Munched Swiss Chard.


Munched bean tops.


Now I certainly don't begrudge the deer having this tasty meal but I really don't want my asparagus seedlings trampled to smitherines. So-o-o, this evening I'll drizzle some of my personal scent (urine) around the garden perimeter -- a duty formerly performed by my dog, Henry. Sadly, he passed away a few months ago at the age of fifteen -- a generous life span for a sheltie. No, I don't intend to take over his barking duties as well.

August, 2013. Munching soybeans in a neighbouring field.


So take a picture, why don'cha!


Can't see me now!



1 comment:

  1. Toads, I haven't seen toads here for ages! Thousands of leopard frogs. What a hoot. My deer like the plants and they are merciless, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.