Friday, 23 December 2016

A New Ginger Tabby

Well, it may not exactly be a tabby in the feline sense, but it does resemble a ginger tabby kitten to me -- except for the beak -- and for the feathers. But it does hunt mice and see well in the dark and is very, very cute!!

Over the years I've had the pleasure of watching gray morph eastern screech owls use my winter roost boxes but today I had my first tenant with a reddish tint. In my region, the rufous morph is less common. I don't know it's gender, but I think of this one as female. It seems larger than the slightly smaller males. To me, she looks like a pretty little miss with bleached tresses. I'm reminded of the old Miss Clairol ad -- "Only her hairdresser knows for sure."

Their common name of 'screech' owl is misleading. They do not screech at all, but call with a low, descending whinny and a muted trill. Lovely music to my ears!
 
The rather kittenish face of a rufous morph eastern screech owl.

There are tabby-like markings atop the owl's head.
We gaze into each other's eyes. Her's appears judgemental.'
From an old box on an old tree, she peers at something on the snow below.
What delicate blush work on those cheeks, my dear.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and a warm home for those cold days and nights, a roof to keep off the snow, and then the photo shoot. I love it all, Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty owl and she does look like a kitten. I love the idea of those boxes. I will have to Google that and see what I can do here.
    Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm blown away by that owl. What a beauty. I'm so glad you showed the photos. Merry Christmas to you Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, did you already know about these owls, or did you have to look it up?!
    I've just spotted what someone says a shrike. So many birds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought and read a book on screech owl biology about twenty years ago, Jennifer, when I first noticed them using an oversized bird box for daytime roosting. They never did use my little dwellings to raise brood, however, but they do store surplus winter food in them along with having a peaceful roosting spot. They are my favourite birds. Did you celebrate well today?

      Delete
    2. We didn't, actually. An ice storm... but we made up for it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.