Even days after the bake, the house has the wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread. And toasted homemade bread spread with creamed honey is unbeatable!
I make four loaves at a time and freeze the ones not immediately needed. Also, I like to time my baking for off-peak electricity hours. Here is my favourite recipe:
Whole Wheat Potato Bread
(makes 4 large loaves)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure mixture keeps warm
Add 1 pkg (8 grams or 1 tablespoon) yeast to:
• 1/2 cup warm potato water
• 1 teaspoon sugar
Combine in a blender and puree:
• 1 1/2 cups hot potato water
• 1 1/2 cups cooked and mashed potatoes
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 cup vegetable oil
• 2 cups buttermilk
Add yeast mixture and stir in:
• 1 cup wheat germ
• 3 cups whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup wheat bran
• 6 cups white flour
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and let rise for another hour.
- Divide and form dough into four equal loaves.
- Put in greased and lightly floured pans.
- Let rise (about an hour).
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes.