Sunday, 20 September 2015

September Notations

The Fall Equinox has almost arrived and many of my backyard friends have departed. Robins and hummingbirds have 'up sticks' and winged southward. Bluejays are looting my feeders and hauling off the goods to secret pantries. The baby red squirrels are hyperactively playing and exploring through the trees. Much too lively to pose for a family photo, I can only guess how many babies there are -- perhaps four or five. This winter they will entertain me with their furry, gravity defying version of 'Cirque du Soleil'. I'll be well rewarded for providing peanuts and sunflower seeds!

One of several baby red squirrels who enliven my yard.


My perennial turtlehead flowers. Their native cousins in our bush lot are white.


A bumblebee enjoys a cosmos. Goldfinches and myself will harvest the seeds.


This flamboyant hibiscus is an attention grabber.


Brown-headed owlet moth (Cucullia convexipennis) caterpillars decorate an aster plant.

7 comments:

  1. Love that tail hanging down, here we have birds eating goodies thrown onto the lawn, our mornings have been cool, and starlings are there in plenty, Not quite ready to get nests built in their boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Just had a gander at your blog, VetVoyeur. Love your dog and bird snaps. I will be back to visit your site -- often! Cheers!

      Delete
  3. It wont be long and you'll be wrapping your hives for the winter...love that little squirrel...we have a lot of grey ones here....even have one who figured out how to get on a "squirrel proof feeder'...he tries over and over...so I let he pig out when he makes it.

    we have such different seasons..it's interesting to see what is going on up your way...used to live in VT and NH...worked outside with harness horses so I know how cold it gets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you have enjoyed a very rich life. I've driven through the rolling hills of VT and NH when the trees were in gorgeous autumn colours. And I've loved working with horses but have never been so lucky as to know the excitement of driving harness horses. I bet you could write a book on your adventures! I suppose by now you are seeing my summer birds like robins and rose-breasted grosbeaks. Tell them I said "Hi!"

      Delete
  4. I just found a mud cocoon, as I recall it looked like the owlets. I must check! Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. looking forward to the cirque, too! Your turtleheads are lovely. I think I have some.????

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.