Tuesday, 31 January 2023

January Notes

As I like to post at least once in each month I'd better fire off this missive before January completely runs out.

Morning sun reveals new tracks in fresh snow.
 

Winter has been going fairly smooth for me so far. Except that a storm brought down a branch that wiped out my screech owl roosting box. Sure do miss seeing the little fellow in it's daytime hidey-hole. I intend to replace the old box (which had gotten pretty decrepit) with an updated version before next winter.

The owl box was directly beneath the damaged branch.


 

A pileated woodpecker checks for edibles.

 

Also, I had a little challenge when my snowblower refused to start this winter. A gumed-up carburetor was the problem. Kitchen table surgery was the answer.

Just finished the novel, A Man Called Ove, by Swedish writer Fredrik Backman. I loved it and look forward to renting the movie version, A Man Called Otto, starring Tom Hanks. His son plays his character as a younger man.


Each morning the pair of ravens, and another whom I think is their adolescent, arrive for a handout -- usually chicken skins or dog kibble. They call for me each morning just after sunrise. I must say, it does motivate me to set down my coffee, get dressed and head out with their breakfast.

What???!!! Dog kibble again???!!!

What'cha got there, Alice?


Not an 'all you can eat' establishment then?!

 

Sure am glad I've got wildlife to enjoy and help brighten the winter. I see fox tracks in the snow and bunnies in person. And I notice that a pair of White-breasted nuthatches are taking a very keen interest in box Number Five.

Wrens nested in No. 5 last year. Perhaps nuthatches in 2023?
A wee chickadee opens wide to nab a peanut.
Smaller birds really like this little, homemade feeder.
What's a winter feeder without a squirrel? Answer: Unusual!
Spilled birdseed is always cleaned up by the bunny set.

Exit, Stage Left!!!

10 comments:

  1. What a treat--Florence, yours is the only blog that requires me to turn off the tv, turn off the radio (if on), make a hot cup of tea if it's past noon and settle in for some buzz n' flutter. You never disappoint. Loved seeing your wintry landscape, and that great woodpecker photo! I was taken aback by your kitchen table surgery on carburetor, but I should know better by now! Listen--I couldn't believe it when I saw that book you finished "A Man Called Ove", my name is on a long wait-list for it at my local library, do you want to know why? Because everyone in my neighborhood wants it--Tom Hanks filmed a lot of "A Man Called Otto" a couple streets over from mine! (Trust me, his entourage had traffic in a snarl here for a long time a year or so ago.) Now you have me tempted to just buy a copy! Sorry for my long ramble, but as much as I enjoy your blog, I've missed you too. Sorry for sounding mushy :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Doug!!! You give such a boost to my poor ego!!! Thank you for the always big hearted response to my posts. It really encourages me to keep adding my buzzing and fluttering observations. Like you, I was going to borrow that book from my public library but the waiting list could have been longer than my remaining time alive. (Time gets increasing precious.) So I bought the ebook for my Kobo app. No kidding, the movie was partly filmed a couple of streets over from you?!!! How cool!! Tom Hanks is one of my favourite actors and as I read the book I imagined Ove (Otto in the movie) looking just like him. Usually movies are never as good as the book, but with Tom Hanks, it should be very good indeed! Thanks for missing me Doug. I'll try to pick up my pace a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Florence, so nice to hear from you. I love all your critter photos! Good old Motomaster Carb Cleaner! I don’t think we have never not had a can of that in our house. Their brake cleaner is great too for cleaning up stains on concrete or asphalt. Our snowblower was stubborn to start this year too. We didn’t put in good stabilizer last Spring when we put it away. A shot of fresh premium gas and we were good to go. Sorry about your tree branch breaking off. Looking forward to seeing your new owl box. I read Ove a few years ago when it came out and LOVED it then. I passed it along to my Mum and I haven’t seen it since. Probably long passed on to someone else.I am looking forward to the movie.
    Take care Florence!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Robin, thanks for the share! I had not even thought about using premium gasoline! I have just been filling my car and the gas can for all my small engines with regular grade. From now on, I'll change that!!! Also will use a stabilizer at end of season for my little machines. I've been way to complacent before now! Yes, that book was a pleasure to read. I gave a paperback copy to my sister yesterday for her 92nd birthday. (My family are too privacy minded to publish their photos.) I may put the new box (after I build one) on a pulley system to make it easier to monitor. I really, really miss viewing my screech owl neighbour.

      Delete
    2. A very good stabilizer is a brand called “Sea Foam” Weird name I know but they use it in the generators at Chuck’s work. I have seen it at Canadian Tire. The generators sit for six or eight months at a time and they start up every time.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for that tip, Robin! I'll add 'Sea Foam' it to my Canadian Tire shopping list. Also will switch to premium gas. Important info and I appreciate it! A cold snap in store for us. February our coldest month I think.

      Delete
    4. Crazy cold tomorrow. We are heading out to Presqu’ile today for a walk. Tomorrow is a snuggle up with a book kind of day!

      Delete
    5. That walk sounds wonderful, Robin! Tomorrow will be bitterly cold. Layers -- layers -- layers! I'll be spending quality time with my piano!

      Delete
  4. Hi Florence, loved your January update. I could say almost ditto to all the critters you shared. I have four ravens that visit the feeders every morning now part of the usual crowd. So far all are behaving themselves and make way for each other. I also have grey and black squirrels along with my usual red ones. So the gang's all here! More snow today and also for overnight, still February in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much thanks for the shout-out, Jocelyn. I have been enjoying your posts but don't always comment. Can't get the images of those fabulous cakes your daughter makes out of my head. And of course I admire your lovely sewing creations though only do basic apparel sewing myself. My sister is the quilting expert of the family and this winter she's happy to be giving our niece lessons.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.