Sunday, 23 August 2020

Little Boxes

For decades I've enjoyed watching Tree Swallows nesting in the bird boxes on my property. But this year I've also been lucky enough to watch two families of Eastern Bluebirds successfully raise their brood. This reward has inspired me to upscale these avian summer cottages. I'm renovating, painting and numbering them. So far, I've completed seven with about a dozen more to follow.

 


Just finished listing to an audio book from our library which I enjoyed very much and highly recommend. Published in 2019, it's called 'The Nature Of Life And Death: Everybody Leaves A Trace' by Professor Patricia Wiltshire, forensic ecologist, botanist and palynologist.



Oh, and I had a nice windfall this past week. My neighbour across the road was given two free internet services in exchange for allowing their silo to be used as a relay tower. The neighbour offered me one of their free services as a thank you for the use of my hay fields. Of course, I gratefully accepted! My new signal is much stronger and the download speed jumped from an iffy 5 Mbps to a steady 10.5 Mbps. Yay-y-y! The only inconvenience is that I now have to change my e-mail address. My old service was in use for 13 years. In that time I accumulated a lot of contacts and business accounts that need to be notified. I suppose the task could be filed under 'short term pain for long term gain'.

 

6 comments:

  1. Love the numbers on the new homes, they are really a delight and I hope the new tenants appreciate all the work to make the inside and outside so attractive. Internet, we have fibre now, and it is a bonus for faster speeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. I suppose the southern hemisphere's birds will soon be scouting for nest sites. Fibre Internet! Wow, isn't that the ultimate? Wouldn't want to lose this utility now that it's become a way of life. Makes shopping a breeze!

      Delete
  2. You just might be the best landlady ever. Those are really looking great. I'm sure word will spread.
    What a cool gift from your neighbor. Don't envy the notifications needed though. To bad there isn't a "change all" button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if only, Patti! That would be one sweet button! Looking over my list of companies and services and their log-in info lets me know I've been a busy bee over the past 13 years. A lot of retail sites that I'm no longer interested in can just be deleted. Free and faster internet service was just to good to resist though.

      Delete
  3. Florence, you are one sweet person--and Patti is right about being the best landlady ever! I can't get over all those boxes! Well, I was very glad to read of your new improved (and free) internet, I'm getting the feeling karma is at work here--the good kind. :) Sure hope you have a terrific week ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug! I'm amply paid when I see those birds return in Spring. Just wish they would send a postcard to show me their off-season travels. And the Internet change has been amazing! No more waiting for my streaming programs. Just to brag a bit more, I also get free over the air tv from the antenna my brother made. (I love being spoiled!)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.