The babies have flown!
Friday morning I watched as the single bluebird mother's brood
successfully fledged. All four of them! Within minutes of each other,
they took the leap from their nest box and flew amazingly well to the
nearest leafy tree. My photos of the novice flyers are blurry
because they were so fast. Of course I cheered from my kitchen
window as each youngster graduated into the big wide world. Full credit to that hard-working and capable little mother. She cleverly found plenty of food to raise four healthy youngsters. Oh, and for bonus points, she kept that nest scrupulously clean!
 |
The devoted mom makes a final food deliver to the box.
|
 |
"Come on kids! It's now time to leave home!"
|
 |
A youngster works up courage for it's first flight.
|
 |
Then drops down and is airborne.
|
 |
Seconds later, a nestling decides to follow it's sibling.
|
 |
And flies capably into a nearby tree.
|
 |
And then another and another! All four babies have safely fledged!
|
As it turns out, it's been a very good year for bluebirds on my patch. I have more than a dozen nesting boxes strewn along a monitored trail. Most years these boxes are used exclusively by Tree Swallows. But this year, I've got two boxes that were successfully used by Eastern Bluebirds. The other box is located a couple of fields away and has the benefit of both parents. Most afternoons I see the male using one of my bird baths. His colouring is amazing!
 |
Another female Eastern Bluebird attends a box further afield.
|
 |
This handsome male drops in for a bath most afternoons.
|
 |
Peaches are in season. Yum! Mine are socially distancing.
|
Another chapter in their life story, loved every word and photo. What a handsome fellow having a dip or a drink.
ReplyDeleteYes Jean, I'm quite smitten by this little bird. And they certainly help keep my vegetable garden free of caterpillars! I sure hope they return next year.
DeleteI love this post! How special that you saw each baby leave the nest. We have two Bluebird boxes up at the garden that the Bluebirds used this spring. I worried about posting about the baby Dove. I know it should be with it's mother. I did read that the baby will call for it mother. Sure wish she would show up.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your comment, Henny. I wonder why your dove's mother hasn't come to her baby yet. Perhaps she is no longer around. We certainly have strong instincts to rescue and nurture, don't we? Oh, and I love your morning glory vines.
DeleteFlorence, this was wonderful to see--you're amazing! I sure am happy for the single mom's brood, I can't believe you caught that... thanks for sharing! PS. Your peaches look tasty too :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Doug. It was a privileged and lucky viewing for me. I've learned that it is possible for a single bluebird mother to raise a brood on her own if there is plenty of food available. I won't feel quite so concerned if it happens again.
DeleteHow delightful!!! Terrific to be there just as...
ReplyDeleteI was so happy for the little family's success, Jennifer. Also slightly sad to see the now empty nest box. Not even a post card. Sure hope they return next year!
DeleteWow, what amazing shots. I rarely get to see the initial flight but to get a picture is so special. Amazing isn't it how they just know what to do when they drop into mid air.
ReplyDeleteThe fledging was all over in minutes, Patti. It was quite the chain reaction! And could those well feathered youngsters ever fly! Remarkable!
DeleteOh Florence, this is happy news indeed. And how extraordinary that you were able to capture it too and share with us. What a fantastic little mother! And obviously glad she found her way to your specially built box too.
ReplyDeleteI had a good view from my kitchen window of the event, Jocelyn. The mother seemed nervous of humans so I gave her plenty of privacy. It's a warm and fuzzy memory to recall during old man winter's stay. Also a reward incentive to keep managing my nesting boxes.
Delete