Saturday, 22 May 2021

Mucking About

The Mayor of Ottawa was not invited for a ribbon cutting ceremony at the opening of my new bridge. In fact, there was not even a ribbon involved. Only a picture snapped of the first vehicle to cross. Which was my riding mower.

Last week I felt the desire to build something. And although not really necessary, I decided to construct a little bridge over the short culvert in the path leading to the garden. Some things are just plain fun for me and that includes digging in the ground. I get the sense that each shovelful uncovers moments in history. Perhaps I'll unearth a bit of crockery or a pretty stone or even an arrowhead. Well, I didn't discover anything of interest while taking ground from the ditch to shore up the bridge ramps but the robins and other birds certainly appreciated the exposed earthworm bonanza from the disturbed soil.

South ramp completed and north ramp in progress.
The first vehicle to cross the newly constructed bridge.
An absolute necessity to cope with mosquitoes that thrive near the damp ground.

 

Anyway, that little project seems to have satisfied my inner badger for now. And of course I took time off to take snaps of things that make me smile:

The combined scents of these bouquets are quite lovely.

Emerging blossoms on an apple tree beside our bush lot.

Bees are loving the lawn's Creeping Charlie nectar.

And also loving the flowers on the Mountain Ash trees.

The Redbuds are producing their best displays to date.

Spring Beauties (Claytonia virginica) showing off their stripey little sun dresses.

Dainty wild violets quietly splash their colour around the forest floor.

 

Not forgetting to include my winged friends:


Several times a day I have to refill this very popular bath.

A female Ruby-Throated hummer refuels after her long Spring migration.

A tree swallow couple using the little cottage at Number Four.

The male providing security watch nearby.

In the garden, cottage Number Two also houses a pair of tree swallows.

House Wrens have laid claim to Cottage Number One.

Mrs. Wren views me as a nosey neighbour.

"Hey lady, ya gonna dig up more earthworms today?"

12 comments:

  1. Impressed with your bridge building. We have one across the Mississippi River that needs some work if you have time:)
    Loved your bird shots. I really like swallows mainly for their heads. They are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In another life, I'd love to help repair that Mississippi River bridge, Patti. In this life, I'd prefer to sit and watch the boat traffic sail up and down. We also have barn swallows nesting nearby. Exquisite little long distance flyers!

      Delete
  2. The bridge is a masterpiece of construction, and a bright red ride-on lawn mower takes the FIRST crossing!!! The bird houses are so pretty, last year Hugh made one for the starlings, but after a few attempts to make a nest, they left it empty. I think the dark brown paint smell was too much. Hopefully this spring we will see someone come and take up residency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! Not an overly ambitious project but with my brother's two inch thick planks, it should last many years with only small gardening implements passing over. NZ starlings nixed your little rental? As you say, perhaps next season Hugh's bird house will attract tenants.

      Delete
  3. Florence... I am re-naming you Jonna Jane Audubon! Sure do love your summer pics and the bird shots amaze me. What amazes me MORE is your bridge! You gave me a good chuckle at the start here, your bridge not getting a proper christening or whatnot, but...haha, wow. Seeing that heavy red mower on top as well, just knocks me for a loop. I know some pretty self-sufficient people, but you take the cake my friend. I need to relook at these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for the kind remarks, Doug. Loved to tag after Dad and watch him repair and build things around our farm. Unfortunately, I used to sneak away from the house to avoid as much as possible helping Mom with the dusting, ironing, etc. To this day, I'd rather dig a ditch than wash the dishes. Just glad that in my senior years I still have the health to enjoy mucking about with a shovel. Joanna Jane.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post, Florence. So enjoyed seeing all your growing things and the birds too. You have a knack for attracting quite a nice array of our feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back-yard birds are a rich source of surprise and enjoyment, Jocelyn. I have two black-capped chickadees that have trained me to drop what I'm doing and offer peanuts from my hand. They are surprisingly heavy for their size!

      Delete
  5. Outstanding selection of birds and bird accommodation. It is always good to lend a hand to our feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for commenting, David. I have 25 similar nest boxes on my property's trail plus two winter roost boxes for screech owls. Just had a look at your interesting blog and will definitely make it a regular visit. Cheers.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Finally a decent bit of a blossom display on the redbuds I planted about a decade ago. I think I'm just a little too far north for these little trees to really thrive.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm always glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.