Starlings have now returned from the south and want to re-nest in that box. I intervened. On went my home made starling excluder.
![]() |
| Sorry Mr. Starling, but I'm leasing to other tenants this year. |
![]() |
| The female of the 'McNutty' pair is happy with the addition. |
Soon, a gray squirrel made her intentions known by chewing out a larger opening. Arh-h! Back to the drawing board!
![]() |
| A gray squirrel decided to enlarge the entrance and move in. |
![]() |
| The addition of wire mesh appears to be keeping out the squirrels. |
![]() |
| Mr. McNutty tried in vain to remove the rim of glue. |
![]() |
| A new wooden porch protects against sharp wires. |
![]() |
| Within minutes, Mrs. McNutty inspects and approves the upgrade. |







Hmmm, I wonder why the birds are so fussy about additions to make their home safe? Guess the familiar is more attractive, but your way has solved all the problems. Maybe a new one just for the starlings?
ReplyDeleteAs always, thanks for leaving a note Jean. The starlings have many alternative sites here. Another owl box is empty on the other side of my house plus a large, decrepit barn is completely at their disposal. Now a seventy plus lady such as I, should perhaps not be scampering up and down a tall ladder simply to cater to birds.
DeleteThat is so much fun!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking of you going up and down the ladder! I moved the wee box I had this year!
This is brilliant. Well done.
I loved this post! What a great nest box tale. I do hope the McNuttys are happy with this final fix and raise a happy little brood. I really like these birds. Thanks Florence!
ReplyDelete